Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Got floppy grass?

The other day, my SO and I visited Metea County Park to look for fungi. While exiting the nature center, I noticed that the grasses along the sidewalk had been tied up in neat little sheaves. How cute, I thought, but necessary? Then I realized that they had solved the problem of floppy ornamental grass!!!

Do your switchgrass and northern oats flop like this, threatening those approaching your front door?


And does your pampas grass sprawl, poking the resident lawn mowing son in the eye as he rounds the corner?


Well, grab some twine or yarn or, if you are really crafty, long dried blades of grass, and round 'em up. Tie the sheaves with a little bow and it looks quite festive. If the grass continues to flop, tether the sheaves to a pole sunk in the center of the clump.


Even the pampas grass can be brought to attention without looking too unnatural.


What do you think? Will this solution work for you? Try it and see if you like it.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Yeah, I've done that. But I really want them to stand without a stake. I think I'm still going to divide mine.