Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hard to keep up

I've been gardening but not blogging about it (obviously) even though I use this blog to help me keep track of what I am doing in the house and garden. So here is what I have been doing:

Planting onions:
Still spindly

Planting shrubs:
These are in the ground now, despite the tree roots left behind by the silver maples

Transplanting rhubarb:
A tractor tire is forever

Transplanting parsley:
Cement block planters - where are the flamingos?

Discouraging mallards from nesting in my yard:
Him

Her

Encouraging wrens:
See serviceberry blooming in the back?

Anticipating praying mantis hatchlings:
Sorry about the craptastic photo

The peas are up, although germination is a bit spotty. I moved a hosta from the west side of the laundry room to the north side of the West Wing, so it will get less sun; moved a yarrow into the hole left by said hosta; transplanted a crocosmia into one of the patio beds; forgot to water a transplanted tiger lily (I'm afraid to check on it). I have been watering everything else, though. Stupid weather.

The patio beds are partially edged in (empty) wine bottles that have been multiplying in the garage. I've been whacking at the honeysuckle vines, in hopes of rejuvenating them. I mowed and spot treated some dandelions with Weed-B-Gone, since doing that last year seems to have made a difference. My neighbor across the street had a sump pump problem and tore up the carpet in his basement as a result; that carpet is now helping suppress "weeds" (a.k.a. mint, lemon balm, thistle, garlic mustard) in the garden.

And plants have been arriving: raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, asparagus. Potatoes too. There are Roma tomato plants started inside, along with basil. And the sweet potato is *finally* starting to sprout, just after I ordered a heat pad for it.

Is that everything? Probably not, but it's better than nothing.

No comments: