Monday, February 20, 2012

Cooking orgy

Yesterday I spent the bulk of the day on my feet in the kitchen, cooking up a storm:

Queso blanco cheese - recipe here - If you want to try making cheese, this is about as simple as it gets. All it takes is milk and vinegar. Although the recipe uses 1/4 c. of vinegar, I needed closer to 1/2 c. (and I used white distilled). I also let the milk get a little too hot, so the cheese has that cooked milk smell even though it tastes great.

Pioneer bread - I have made this before, recipe from The Bread Book by Linda Collister and Anthony Blake (sadly out of print). I did not have sunflower seeds, though, which while not crucial to producing a great bread, is a nice addition. Also, for liquid, I used the whey from the queso blanco.

Chili - For a change, I used dried beans, soaking the kidney beans overnight, then cooking them with four gloves of garlic and two teaspoons of epazote, an herb that reduces the musicality of beans. I also used up four pints of tomato juice from the freezer.

Baked apples - The recipe I use is from Student's Vegetarian Cookbook by Carole Raymond. Patrick brought ice cream to accompany the apples, but we were so full from the chili, bread, and cheese that we could not eat dessert.

Re gardening, I replanted some onion seeds in the cells where germination failed - still striving for a full square foot garden bed of 144 onions. I also snipped some new growth off the indoor rosemary plant, to try rooting cuttings. My big plant has become so rangy that I plan to severely prune it this summer, but I want some backup plants in case I accidentally kill it.

No comments: