Friday, July 08, 2011

Wake up!

I've been sleep walking lately. A Way to Garden woke me up the other day with the post about garlic. They say to harvest garlic when the bottom half is dry and the top half still green. I looked at my garlic and realized that the bottom half was still green but the tops were dry, a sure sign of not enough water. Not only that, but one variety, the Broadleaf Czech, was completely dry, at least the plants that were not missing entirely. I think only about half even came up, but since I was not paying close attention, I can't be sure.

Bad garlic gardener!

I harvested the seven bulbs that were discernible, and they are not the best examples I've seen, some small and misshapen and one separating, which I think means it was ready to grow into new plants.  I just might plant the cloves from that one, and enjoy "green garlic" later this season.

Today I broke down and bought sprinklers. That is not my favorite way to water, but I just can't face another summer standing in the yard, hose in hand. Several years ago, I purchased some irrigation equipment which I never set up. While I'm figuring out that, the garden will get showered.

On a happier note, I took a closer look at the Meyer's lemon.

Look!  See!  TWO fruits and a new blossom!

A week or two ago, I stumbled upon a gardening show that had a short segment on a Meyer's lemon. The one in the show was 3-4 feet tall, and the host discussed removing suckers to maintain the single trunk. He also snipped each tip to encourage branching. I'll have to remember that when mine gets a little bigger.

I've been trying to photograph the meadow, to show you its splendor - yarrow, bee balm, milkweed, sunflowers, crocosmia, coneflower, daisies, etc. - but I'm not able to capture its essence.  Here are a couple of up close and personal shots, though.

Volunteer from under the bird feeder

LOTS of bees in the meadow

Finny Knits recently provided a video tour of her garden.  I may steal that idea in the future, but right now I would be too embarrassed to show you all the weeds.  It looks quite wild out there.

No comments: