Sunday, May 03, 2009

I hear a wren!

Wrens are the good news, plus a most perfect weekend weatherwise. The bad news is my mower choked to a halt, fortunately after I finished the front yard but unfortunately before I got very far into the backyard jungle. My SO brought his electric mower over, though, so I will give that a chance to prove itself. The more I garden, the less yard I have to mow, so maybe it is time to transition away from my not-so-trusty Toro to something quieter and less polluting.

Friday night I bit the bark and picked out a tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) to shade the West Wing. What is it about a nursery in the spring that makes me want to whip out my credit card and cry, "I'll take one of everything!"? The only thing that kept me to the one tree was my plan to visit another nursery for the other things on my wishlist. But I splurged on the tree - 2" diameter and they (Arbor Farms) will plant it. I can hardly wait!

I am dithering about what to do about the patio. It needs some shade, but I like seeing the sky out my patio door. I've considered a variety of trees, a pergola, an awning, a trellis for the kitchen window, insulated curtains for the patio door, etc. I just can't decide what would be most satisfactory. The patio is on the west side of the house and the afternoon sun will be brutal. Suggestions welcome!

Unable to mow yesterday, I turned to moving mulch. Believe it or not, I may need one more load. I also (finally) planted snap peas and mesclun. It was hard to put away my tools midafternoon to prepare for an evening out, but today my muscles and joints are thankful.

Yesterday's photos did not turn out - too bright - but here are some from this past week:

Creeping phlox...



... purpleleaf sandcherry...



... and volunteer violets.



Maybe I should replace my lawn with clover and violets.

No comments: