Monday, October 13, 2008

Triple Teamed

The room is done, but I wanted to whine one more time about the floor, so the contractor came by last Thursday and he brought reinforcements: his interior person and the flooring lady. I had already talked to the people who installed flooring in the rest of the house and they did not think there was anything unusual in what I described - it is a floating floor after all - so I guess I will just have to get used to it.

There are still some little things that need attention, like the weather stripping in the patio door and a missing hinge pin and this and that. And yesterday I noticed that one of the floor boards looks partially unfinished. *sigh* I am going to ask my son-in-law to do a final inspection since he is a fixer-upper and his eyes are younger than mine. Then I will have to just let it go.

All in all, the whole project went relatively smoothly, BUT. My house is nothing special, just a run-of-the-mill small ranch, but it is built very well, everything solid and true. I'm not convinced that the overall quality of the new room is up to the standard set by the original builder. When I was house hunting and contemplating building or buying a new-new house, I was struck by the low quality of new construction. I just hope that my new room does not age faster than the rest of the house.

This past weekend, I started to reclaim my house. Most of the inside stuff is put back together and the garage is clear enough that I can park the car inside again. Unfortunately, a review of my finances indicate I will have to stick with the old, ugly, does-not-match-the-decor furniture for now.

No comments: