Saturday, June 10, 2023

A visit from an arborist

The arborist from Mudrack Tree Service stopped by this past week, to take a look at the tulip tree. Jeff said there appears to be no disease or infestation, so he suggested we wait and see, and if it is still alive in the fall, fertilize. He also took a look at the redbud tree. The center limb is dying, which happens. He said his mother has a redbud that has been dying for twenty years, so I'm not too worried about it.

We discussed root structure. The tulip tree's roots mimic the top growth in size and shape, but that is for stability. The feeder roots are in the top eight inches of soil. I wish I had thought to ask him if he thought the rain garden and/or mulch was impacting the tree. Yesterday, I raked some of the mulch off, but there really isn't that much there. Jeff said tulip trees tolerate wet (but not hot and dry, which may cause it to drop leaves), so the backyard moisture should not be an issue. But maybe the digging of the rain garden destroyed too many of the feeder roots? I have another arborist coming, for a second opinion; hopefully, I'll remember to ask him.

I confess I wanted the arborist to admire my other trees, especially the elm. We did take a look at the galls on the leaves, which he says are harmless. Another bit of interesting information is, if a tree has borers, woodpeckers go after them, leaving a ring of holes around the trunk.

Galls on elm leaf

Despite a bit of rain on Tuesday, it's been so dry lately that I haven't tried to transplant any of my existing perennials. However, the golden rod I ordered from Bluestone Perennials arrived yesterday, so I prepared a bed for them while they harden off. Then I got the bright idea to move the rhubarb from its container (where it was very unhappy) into the end of that bed. I hope it gets enough sun there.

The 'Blue Muffin' viburnum finished blooming, so now it is 'Chicago Lustre' putting on a show. The "sleeping" catmint in the front yard is blooming a bit; next year it should "creep", then third year "leap". The privet behind my backyard is blooming and smells heavenly.

Volunteer wheat

Robins have been feasting on the serviceberry fruit and the neighbor's mulberry (which I wish he would cut down). An immature bluebird figured out how to get into the mealworm feeder, but couldn't get out; Bird Lady to the rescue! I'm about ready to give up on the hummingbird feeder, as I've seen none since that first one about a month ago. On the other hand, redwing blackbirds and grackles frequent the feeders, something that is different from previous years. I wonder how much the reconfiguration of the yard affects which birds frequent it.

Immature bluebird

The bed on the south side of the house gets very little rain because of the depth of the eave. So I got the bright idea to install a perforated drain pipe there. Yesterday I wrestled around with that, then used the garden hose to mimic a downpour. NOT a success, because the pipe is too big and there is not enough drop for the water to run to the other end. I tried a perforated garden hose before, with water from the well, but the iron in the water clogged up the holes (and where it didn't, the water hit the siding, turning it orange). I'll either have to modify my plan or come up with a new one. Suggestions welcome!

No comments: