Saturday, August 19, 2017

Guessing game

Now that I have a dog, I am taking better advantage of the walking opportunities in this community, specifically the Rivergreenway and other local trails. I'm pleased to note that a variety of native plants are taking up residence along these urban pathways. Some are easier to identify than others, though.

Butterflyweed, obviously.


And ironweed.


I had to look this one up, even though I should know it: Culver's root.


I thought this was bindweed, but the heart-shaped leaves are telling me wild potato-vine.


Sunflowers and sunflowerlike flowers are often difficult to identify, but not this one.


It's leaves scream, Cup-plant!


This one I'm not sure about.


The leaves are not helping me, either. Guesses?


I feel like I should know this one. Stinging nettle maybe?


The fruit on this shrub remind me of my highbush cranberry, but not the leaves. Mine is a 'Wentworth'. Anyone? Anyone?


I'm also pleased to see so many local gardens sporting so-called wild flowers, especially coneflower and black-eyed Susan. The word is out!

1 comment:

Jason said...

I think the third from the bottom is Early Sunflower - Heliopsis helianthoides. On the shrub with red berries, I would just guess a straight species V. trilobum.