Monday, March 13, 2017

Wait! Wait!

This is the first time I have tried planting tulips in containers. I kept them in the garage, watered them sporadically, and all seemed well. BUT with the mild weather we have had UNTIL NOW, the tulips made an unreasonably early appearance. So I dragged the pots outside, in hopes that the wildly fluctuating temps would cool the tulips' enthusiasm. And I think it's working.


New growth seems to have halted... for now.


Now that my interest in big pots has been stoked, I'm contemplating removing the boxwood in front of the picture window and placing one of the pots there in its stead. Once the tulips start to fade, I can replace them with some summery annuals and let the creeping phlox have its way with that area. The mugu pine that is crowded behind the boxwood would probably appreciate more room, too.

I think one of the hardest gardening lessons for me to learn has been that it's okay to remove something that no longer works, no matter its size or health. The first thing to go were the silver maples in the backyard. I was sad to lose the shade but relieved to be rid of red buds and whirlybirds in the air conditioner, leaves in the gutters, and branches scraping the roof of the Florida room (which is also gone). Change is good, or can be. If I wanted a static yard, I would just grow grass.

3 comments:

Cecilia said...

Isn't this just the best moment in the year! When the first flowers break through snow and ice! Wonderful! Thanks.

Commonweeder said...

So wise, you are. I like your idea of tulips in pots a lot. Some winter safety from critters. And I am joining you in the excitement of my new garden. I can't wait to see how all the new shrubs and perennials I planted last year have come along.

Jason said...

I have had the same experience with my container tulips. I think yours will do fine.