Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Progress

I was out of town for most of the holiday weekend.  Fortunately, it did not rain more, so when I returned, things were dry enough that I could actually accomplish something yesterday.  The last two tomatoes are in their MiracleGro bags (I did that before I left), the peppers are in the ground along with some of the marigolds, and the first of the green beans are planted.  There are still the herbs and flower plants I started indoors to get planted, plus some direct-seeded veggies and flowers, all of which I hope to do this week.  Then it will be time to weed, weed, weed.

My SO came over yesterday and started weeding the meadow.  He does not always know what's what plantwise, but he knows what Canada thistle, garlic mustard, and dandelions look like, so I figured if he targeted those three, the rest of the plants would be safe.  It was his first foray into my yard this year, and he pooped out kind of quickly, but made a good start.  This Fiskars weeder was great help with thistle embedded in clumps of yarrow and bee balm.

While we were taking a break, we witnessed a bluebird trying to check out the bluebird house.  The resident sparrows were not willing to give it up, though.  I have a second bluebird house, so will put that up in the front yard, where it is more open, which the bluebirds favor and hopefully the sparrows will not.

Currently blooming are the iris, peonies, spring phlox, columbine, clematis, and honeysuckle vine.  The latter is not looking very healthy this year.  I have never pruned it, so maybe that would help.

Current edibles from the garden are rhubarb, chives, scallions, greens, and radishes.  Salad, anyone?

No comments: